Accountability for kids means accepting responsibility and acknowledging the power and control over one’s own choices. This is a difficult concept for kids and many resort to blaming their behavior on the actions of someone else, or what occurred first. Check out my post here for some tips on teaching accountability to kids then grab some of these books about accountability and responsibility.
*This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. This blog makes a small commission on purchases made through these links.
Books About Accountability and Responsibility
This list of books that can be used in conjunction with those tips to help your kids really understand what you mean by taking accountability and responsibility for their actions. From knowing and following the rules as being accountable for actions, to taking responsibility when making a bad choice, these books will help kids see the value in doing so.
Have you read any of these with your kids? Do your kids seems to respond well to learning new concepts through books?
Tips for Reading with Your Child
- Ask questions about what your child thinks will happen.
- Ask how your child felt about the choices made in the book. Would they have done things differently?
- Point to pictures when reading about them.
- When finished, ask your child their favorite part of the story.
- Use your inflection to really help your child understand how the characters feel.
- Tell your child what you thought of the story. The lesson doesn’t have to end at the end of the book, use the story as a talking point to begin your conversation.